Golcom Pty Ltd (ABN 61 107 195 871) was established by David and Helen Gollan in 2003. The company was originally set up as a contracting business, providing field service support to the major internet service providers.
Our first contract was installing telephony, pay TV and broadband over the Optus HFC cable network.
In 2005, we moved on to the Telstra PSTN network (landlines), which includes telephony and ADSL broadband.
From 2008 to 2010, we provided services to Foxtel, installing satellite dishes, cabling and set top boxes for their clients.
The Broadband Doctor business name was registered in October 2009 to provide support directly to homes and businesses that require fast, reliable broadband access. Drawing on the skills learnt working on the Telstra network, we have developed various methods of maximising DSL performance inside customer premises.
Since 2012, we have been TPG contractors providing services to them for their ADSL and FTTB products, and for their subsidiary company, iiNet which they acquired in 2015.
Golcom has also been providing services to NBN for their FTTN and HFC technologies since 2017.
We registered a second business name in 2017, The Broadband Brokers. Under this name, we resell broadband and telephone services delivered over MNF, Telstra, AAPT and Optus, ADSL and NBN connections.
David has been involved with providing technical services his entire working life. For the first 15 years of his career, he was in the amusement machine and pinball industry, working for Leisure and Allied Industries (Timezone), and Amusement Machine Distributors (AMD), both as a technician and as a spare parts manager.
As broadband became more and more of a commodity, David moved over to the telecommunications industry, learning everything he could about past, current and emerging technologies and service delivery.
She currently handles the administration and accounts here at Golcom.
|2003 – 2005||Optus HFC installation|
|2005 – 2013||Telstra PSTN and ADSL installation and maintenance|
|2008 – 2010||Foxtel satellite installation|
|2009 – current||Broadband Doctor installation and maintenance|
|2012 – 2019||TPG ADSL installation and maintenance|
|2014 – current||TPG FTTB installation|
|2016 – 2019||iiNet ADSL installation and maintenance|
|2017 – 2019||NBN FTTN installation and maintenance|
|2018 – current||iiNet FTTB installation|
|2019 – current||NBN HFC installation and maintenance|
- ICTTCI37A – Open registration (ACMA)
ACMA registration endorsements
- ICTTC009A – Place, secure and terminate structured cabling
- ICTTC013A – Perform accurate cable system test (twisted pair)
- ICT30202 – Certificate III in telecommunications (co-axial)
Advanced ACMA accreditations
- ICT40202 – Certificate IV in telecommunications engineering
- ICTTC010A – Place, secure and terminate optical fibre cable
- ICTTC013A – Perform accurate cable system test (fibre)
- CST1 – Consumer & multimedia services installation
- HSD – High speed data (cable broadband)
- NDSZ40A – MDF practices
- Basic cable jointing (I&M)
- Customer premises equipment & lightning protection
- ADSL professional
- ICTTC100C – Locate & diagnose cable faults (twisted pair)
- ICTTC015C – Locate & identify cable system faults (fibre)
- ICTTC065C – Splice optic fibre cable
- 1 – Jumpering at the Pillar and/or the Node
- 2 – Installing Underground Copper Joint Enclosure
- 3 – Copper Jointing
- 5 – Copper Fault Finding
- 14a – Radio Frequency Testing from the Tap Down
- 15a – Coaxial Cable Installs from the Tap Down
- 17a – Provide HFC Activations and Assurance Services
- 23 – Premises Lead-In Identification and Validation (FTTC)
- 24 – Perform Copper Intercept (FTTC)
- 31a – Business Grade Technician